Best Crockpot Recipes ~ Apple Brown Betty

Looking for a great-tasting Apple Brown Betty recipe?  Look no further!

My mother was a fabulous cook!  She was a stay-at-home Mom (in those days MOST mothers were) and she would take great pride in preparing a meal for us from scratch. When my father got home from work she would have a beautifully prepared meal ready and waiting on the kitchen table for him.

One thing we could always look forward to was desert. My Mom made a point to surprise us with something every night. One of my favorites was when she would make Apple Brown Betty. So, when I saw this recipe I knew I had to give it a try.

Apple Brown Betty

Total Cooktime: 2-4 hours

What you will need:


  • 3 lbs. cooking apples (Macintosh or Granny Smith)
  • 10 slices of bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
Spray your crockpot with a little Pam or other non-stick cooking spray.  Peel, core and slice your apples into eighths and place them in the bottom of the crockpot.

Honestly - this is the best tip I can give you. Get yourself an Apple Peeler / Corer / Slicer.  It attaches to your countertop with with suction. With the turn of a crank you not only peel the outside of the apple but you core and slice the apple into 1/4" slices!  I got one of these for our annual apple picking pie making day one year and I swear this has got to be the most useful tool I own! We pull it out any time we are making potatoes too.

Back to the recipe!  Combine the bread cubes, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, sugar and butter. Toss together until coated. Place on top of the apples and cover.

Cook on low for about 2 to 4 hours.


We like to make this one after going to the apple orchards in the early fall. There is nothing better than using freshly picked apples! If you can't wait until fall, any good cooking apple will do - the tarter the better!

Family Verdict:  We really liked this recipe and how well the bread made a topping for this brown betty. I was actually surprised because at first I had some reservations about how it would turn out. We like to add raisins to our recipe and serve this with vanilla ice cream for a special treat!

I'd love to hear how your batch went and what alterations you make to this recipe!

Enjoy!

posted under |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

The Best Crockpot Recipes is a way for me to share with you the many slow cooker recipes I continue to find.

In these economic times it has been more important than ever to find ways to stretch a dollar. Please feel free to share these with your family and friends!

ENJOY!

Need Crockpots?

Below you can find some great crockpots and slow cookers to fit any budget or family size! Hamilton Beach 5.5-Qt Oval Slow Cooker - 33160 Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome 5 Quart Slow Cooker - 33550 Rival SCR-450-B Round Manual 4.5-quart Crockpot
Complete Idiot's Guide To Slow Cooking

Recent Comments